Monday, September 8, 2008

Reporting from the trenches

My little summer vacation was fabulous. I feel so motivated and full of energy to tackle a new semester full of research and control courses. Right after Caracas and before going back to Boulder I went to the Bay area and visited some of my favorite people. I am of course speaking of Andrew Bird, Rodrigo y Gabriela, Manu Chao, Radiohead, M. Ward, Los Amigos Invisibles, Wilco, Cold War Kids, Beck, Regina Spektor, Devendra Banhart, Cake, etc.

Oh! and I got to see Steve and Parisa too! San Francisco's Outside Lands Music Festival. it was by far the most significant musical experience of my life... yet. The line up was out of this world and it was really well organized. SF's Golden Gate Park is massive, it takes up about half of the city, no kidding. I wish I had written this post right after I got back, because then I would have been more inclined to comment. My favorite performances were:
I would love to be able to tell you that Radiohead's performance blew my eyes right out of their sockets. But the truth is, I was so far away I couldn't see what Thom Yorke was wearing. The music sounded really good, but I was overall unsatisfied. I guess that means I'll have to go see them again the next chance I get.

So back in Boulder: I am taking two different control courses and I have started climbing. Finally bought some shoes and started going to the gym. It's something I've been meaning to do for the last year, and finally got around to it since I was able to save a little money over the summer. It's really fun though I feel like my arms are not strong enough yet (and I have realized I am a little scared of heights too), but I'll keep working on it. Everyone at the gym is cut as hell, so it is obvious it is great exercise. One of my favorite things about going to the climbing gym is watching all the pros strut their stuff and climb in unimaginable ways, it's a guilty pleasure I suppose.

Oh my! I almost forgot! In California I stayed most of the time with my friend Steve Hanna in Berkeley. Aside from his overall awesomeness he is also a really great (and overly modest) photographer. We had some good fun with his camera, him shooting, me posing and you should check out his gallery here.

Errr. I have to go do homework :-(

1 comment:

Asirap said...

I'd say Andrew Bird is cooler than me too (he is from Chicago you know). Post your polaroids woman!