Tuesday, March 8, 2011

San Francisco and food (yes, again)

We're back in Sydney everyone!!! *the crowd goes wild* *roars* *applause*

In one of the recent posts about food someone commented "food? again?!", and the answer to that is yes, food, AGAIN!

Both of my parents are amazing cooks and growing up even the left overs were always tasty (except for that time my dad cooked capybara*), so food to me is not just sustenance and guilty pleasure, but equally important is what happens around the table and the people who are with you. So in short, this is my blog and I write whatever I damn well like.


We had an excellent time in San Francisco, I got to see my brother a ton, heaps of old friends and even made some new ones. We ate very well, drank homemade ales and cocktails, walked incessantly (when the weather allowed), did a little shopping, baked cupcakes with a friend and even helped create a music video for someone.

Having a full time personal photographer with me, it is difficult to bother to take photos of the travel experience. So It is no surprise that when I looked at the shots I took with my phone, they are mostly of food :-) Enjoy!

Black bean and smoked cheddar tamale with the fixings. From Donna's Tamales stand at the ferry building farmer's market. Best meal I ever had for $3.75
A perfectly cooked soft boiled egg inside a savoury cheese, ham and rosemary muffin. By Tell Tale Preserves also at the ferry building farmer's market. It was a tasty novelty, but at the hefty price of $6 I am not sure I will be trying it again.
1 Gingerbread cupcake with cream cheese buttercream from Miette. 2 Chocolate cupcake with vanilla buttercream from Miette. 3 beet cupcake with bood orange jelly and mascarpone cream from the ferry building farmer's market, cannot remember the stand's name :( 
Sunday brunch at the Linares-Krumme household, featuring black beans, cheddar and cottage cheeses, crepes with honey, cantaloupe, sliced avocados and tomatoes, homemade beer bread and soft boiled eggs. No joke.
* One Christmas my father decided to cook capybara, which is not commonly eaten in Venezuela however some people do, especially if they live in the regions where the animals roam. He purchased and cooked too much of this fibrous, chewy and not very tasty meat, so much that we resentfully had to eat capybara for weeks after.

4 comments:

Asirap said...

Homemade beer bread?! Intriguing... You should include the picture of you eating bug cookies!

Kathy said...

I like your food posts. Don't listen to the naysayers. Keep writing them.

The Ferry Terminal market is foodie heaven. Almost worth the long flight.

Steph Bond-Hutkin said...

Love all your foodie posts! This one made me very homesick for SF. I lived there for 3 years and met my husband there too. What a special place. Glad you had a ball.

L said...

Thanks you guys! I will keep them coming, and yes, I am glad we can all agree San Francisco rocks.